Hailing from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Reese McHenry is a singer, songwriter and guitar player. Her sophomore album "NO DADOS" was released some months ago on Suah Sounds. On this latest album she is backed by a badass rock'n'roll band that delivers some really powerful music. But what sets Reese McHenry apart is not only her brilliant songwriting but also her forceful voice that somehow will remind you of Janis Joplin.
Purchase this record, it's absolutely brilliant from start to finish.
My name is Reese McHenry. I’m a female singer, songwriter and guitar player. I taught myself how to play guitar in my early 20's to write songs. Songwriting isn’t something I do as much as something I am. The record No Dados was recorded in August 2018 in 6 days at Fidelitorium in Kernersville, NC by producer/engineer Missy Thangs.
The people who played on the recording are Mike Wallace, Guitar. Thomas McNeely, bass. Chip Steiner, drums. Trevor Reece, guitar.
Mike and Thomas are still in the band with me, now with Thomas playing drums. We have Mark Connor playing bass and sometimes he plays guitar and we have bassist Kaitlin Grady with us. When we play as a 5 piece I don’t normally play guitar.
2) About your sophomore full length album "No Dados", what can you tell about the recording process? Was this a "live" in the studio recording or a track by track recording with lots of overdubs?
I like everything to be live, in the same room, looking at each other. I’d love to do the vocals live but it’s not worked in the past. We have vocal overdubs and some guitar overdubs, but not much.
3) Do you use the nowadays digital recording technology or do you only work with analog machines in analog studios?
We use digital. It doesn’t always sound as good but it much easier and less expensive.
4) How would you describe the music you're playing? Do you call it "Garage rock" or do you consider there is much more to it?
I would call it garage rock-ish with a powerful, pointed singer.
5) What is your favorite topic/topic that comes easily when you write a new song?
I really like the idea of working out the difficulties and beauty of human relationships. I struggle to maintain healthy relationships and I am forever assessing and processing. Songwriting is perfect for that.
6) Do you have a new video on youtube featuring a track from the new LP??
Yes. It’s called Bye Bye Baby.
7) What can concert goers expect at a Reese McHenry gig? Are you playin' any famous cover songs during the gig?
We have been doing “if it makes you happy” by Sheryl Crow lately. At our show, one can expect a rock and roll show with great energy and camaraderie on stage.
8) Are there any bands in The USA today you consider yourself close to musically speaking?
I think we share space with heavier 60s influenced rock bands, like Shannon and The Clams, thee Coat Hangers, The Advertisers, Brenda, Dim Delights and The Muckers,
9) To what kind of music did you listen to as a teenager? What were your favorite bands as a teenager? Name 3 bands that you consider still have an influence on your own work today.
I loved 60s “girl group” doo wop, a Lesley Gore, The Shirelles, The Ronettes, Rosie and the Originals. Any Garage Rock from that era. I also loved Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Ratt and Black Sabbath as a teen. I think the 60s bands still have a huge hand in my songwriting.
3 band that have an influence today would be: The Ronettes, Nirvana and The Oblivians
10) What are the plans for the rest of 2019 as far as you're concerned?
We’re doing a tour to NYC and back in October, I’m going out to California solo on November. Our goal is to work on the new songs I’ve written to start recording in February. I want to tour internationally more than anything.
11) Anything you wanna add?
I am happy and terribly thankful to be able to play in this band and we will continue to record and tour until we all get tired of it. So, forever, probably.
PURCHASE IT HERE : https://reesemchenry.bandcamp.com/releases
Post a Comment