After 30 years of existence, the trio released its fifth and probably best album so far, The Oddyssey. The band never sounded any better and This new record is filled to the rafters with catchy tunes.
So it was time for this blog to have an interesting conversation with singer guitar player Dave Baisa.
1) What can you tell about The Odd Numbers today? Who is playing what instrument in the band?
We've just put out our 5th LP called the Oddyssey. My name is Dave Baisa and I play guitar, sing and write most of the stuff. Dave miller plays bass and sings and Dave Conrad plays drums and sings back ups.
2) About the latest full length record "The Oddyssey", what can you tell about the recording process? Was this a "live" in the studio recording or a track by track recording with lots of overdubs?
It's kind of a live process. We start out with drums and guitar live and get a good take. Then put on the bass and start overdubbing everything else. We took our time on this one. We found a great little studio in our neighborhood and just worked on it for like 6 months.
3) Do you consider it should be foolish not to use the nowadays recording technology or do you guys only work with analog machines in analog studios?
This is the first record we've ever done all digital. We've used pro tools before but we'd record to tape then put it in pro tools. I've gotta say I'm digging digital now. if you process it right it sounds great! I would still probably prefer 2" tape but it's what ever your into. there's a lot of ways to get a good recording these days. Shit use your phone!
4) Is there a main composer in the band or is everybody involved in one way or another?
I write most of the songs but Dave Miller has written a hand full of them over the years. he's got 2 on the new record.
5) About the new record "The Oddyssey", can you explain the title? Is it just a little joke or is there a deeper meaning to it? And what's the connection with the artwork on the front cover?
Its obviously a play on our name but this band has been on somewhat of a odyssey. We've been together for 30 years now and we've seen a lot over that time, been involved in a lot of cool things. Its been a long rock n roll journey! The artwork is something I painted about 15 years ago. It was hanging on the wall in the garage and I thought, that will work! Everybody likes a little Jackson Pollack right!?
6) The Odd Numbers are described by some people as a "mod" band. Do you agree with this label? Are you proud of it or do you consider there is way more than that?
We started out a mod band and we will end a mod band! In the beginning it gave us a great look and direction and we thought we were pretty cool! We owe just as much to the punk scene though, and Skateboarding!
7) Do you have a new video on youtube featuring a track from the new LP??
We do have a video up for the song "Midway" its our first ever instrumental song! There will be more to come. We also just did a taped acoustic performance for KFOG thats on youtube.
8) What can concert goers expect at a The Odd Numbers gig? Are you playing any famous cover songs?
You can expect some of the old and some of the new. We've got a pretty big catalog now so its fun to pick the set. As for covers you might hear something from the Jam or the Clash or something of that era, Maybe something motown.
9) Is there still a mod scene in California today?
Truthfully I don't know. I know theres still a scooter scene but I don't think theres anything going on like San Diego in the early 80"s and Berkley in the late 80's early 90"s.
10) Anything you wanna add?
The world's a pretty messed up place right now. Sometimes you gotta just pop a record on and forget about it. Hopefully ours!
Purchase all the goodies here: https://www.theoddnumberssj.com/shop
Post a Comment