The Volcanics formed in Perth, Western Australia's back blocks with a purpose of playing stripped down rock ‘n’ roll with no hype attached. Inspired by the great local bands that came before them such as The Victims and The Scientists as well as the classic rock sounds of The Stooges, MC5 & AC/DC, the boys from the band have concocted their own brand of white hot, fuel injected rock n roll.
Currently, the band is featuring are Johnny Phatouros (vocals), Tommy Hopkins (guitar), Jesse Kuillotine (guitar), Pete Acklin (bass) and Alex Megaw (drums).
The Volcanics have recently released their 4th and best Album to date 'Oh Crash....' on the famous Citadel label. My personal favorite track is the aptly titled "Speed On The Track" but all the record kicks major ass. So it was time for this blog to have a very interesting chat with the guys in the band:
1) What can you tell about THE VOLCANICS? How long are you guys together as a band?Were you in other bands previously?
We have been together as a band for over 10 years now, we released our first album in 2007, our EP "Nothin For You" was released a little before that on Out Of The Loop Records, a West Australian label.. We have played in a few different bands before The Volcanics, yeh similar rocknroll.
2) About the new record "Oh Crash....", what can you tell about the recording process? Was this a live in the studio recording or a track by track recording with lots of overdubs?
With our new album "Oh Crash" we recorded all the songs live, then we added some guitar solos,vocals and percussion...We recorded at Rada Studios Perth, Australia, with Rob Younger and Jozef Grech working with us. We all really enjoyed working again with Rob, it was great as it always is and also found working with Jozef for the first time to be awesome, he brought alot to the table, very talented.. We feel lucky to work with those two.
3) To what kind of music did you listen to as a teenager and does it still influence your today work? What was your favorite band as a teenager? Name 3 bands that you consider still have a influence on your own work today.
In the early days, teenage days started listening to lotsa people and songs, some are Little Richard, Chuck Berry, New York Dolls, MC5, Stooges, Ramones, Saints, Radio Birdman, New Christs, The Who, Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Carole King, Dionne Warwick. All of these people yeh still have an influence on us today with what we do.
4) Is there a main composer in the band or is everybody involved in one way or another?
We dont have a main composer in the band, we all enjoy writing and writing together, everyone gets involved with the songs.We like it that way.
5) THE VOLCANICS have an undeniable Aussie approach of rock'n'roll that could lead to compare you to The New Christs, The Victims or The Scientists. Do you agree with this comparison or do you consider there is way more than that?
We approach it the only way we know how. Its nice when people are writing about our music, that they reference some bands that we really like and truly admire.Some of these bands have been endless inspiration for us but that's as far as it goes,with admiration and respect we dont sound like any of them. We sound like The Volcanics..... We can only dream to be anywhere near their league and we hope to do the best we can to help continue the great tradition set up by some amazing Australian bands.
6) Do you have a video on youtube featuring a track from the latest release?
We do have a new video on youtube, our song called "Natural In A Way" off the new album. It was fun making it, working with Seymour Davidson who filmed it and put it together, he's a great man.
7) What can concert goers expect at a gig of The VOLCANICS? Are you playing any famous cover songs?
At a Volcanics show people can expect energy, life, drums, guitars, dancing, happiness, rock'n'roll music.....Yes we are playing some covers also in our sets, songs we enjoy playing, sorry we cant say now which ones, we like to keep that a surprise for the people who come to our shows.
8) Does Perth, Australia have a long history of rock bands, that goes way back to the 70/80's? And are the Volcanics in the continuity of this heritage?
Perth,Australia has a long history of rock bands, only some of these include The Victims, Scientists,The Boys, Wayne Green And The Phantoms, The Stems, DM3, The Jackyls, Rockets, The Bamboos, Change Alley, The Healers, M16s,Jed Whitey, Foustroke, Homicides, Datura 4, Kuillotines, The Shakeys, Caballeros...Feel lucky to know these great bands.. Yeh you could say we are part of this West Australian heritage.
9) What are the plans for the rest of 2017 as far as THE VOLCANICS are concerned? Are you guys planning to tour Europe soon?
We are Touring Spain and France this Oct 2017, our third time touring there.. Each time we go on tour, it seems more people are discovering the band and coming to the shows, its really encouraging and great fun playing and meeting new good people.
10) Anything you would like to say to the viewers of this blog?
All to best to all your readers, love, health, happiness!
Purchase a digital copy here : https://thevolcanics.bandcamp.com/album/oh-crash
Or a physical copy here :
Get in touch with The VOLCANICS :