Grande Royale is a rock'n'roll band from Jönköping, Sweden, rooted in the early 70's rock scene of Detroit and the 90's rock scene in Scandinavia, mixed up with some vintage pop. The Sign records released some weeks ago the aptly titled "captured live" by GRANDE ROYALE.
After last year's highly praised "Breaking news" produced by Nicke Andersson (Imperial State Electric, The Hellacopters), this is the band's second album for this great label. And it is highly recommended if you dig "high energy" rock'n'roll. So this blog had a little chat with ANDY.
We started as a garage/punk band with Andy and Gustav on guitars, Hampus on bass and lead vocals and Anton on drums. Anton dropped after the first record and now he lives in LA as a producer. Hampus wanted to only do the vocals so we took in Calle on bass and then we had a new drummer in Marcus Kveldstat. After Breaking News album Marcus left the band and we took in a new Marcus on drums but that only lasted for a month so we asked Johan if he could fill he´s place. Hampus and Calle said goodbye this summer to do other things in life. So here, we are with Andy on guitar Johan on drums our new bass player Samuel and Gustav on guitar and lead vocals. We never sounded better and never played better then now so the feeling is good as hell.
2) About the latest full length record "Captured live", what can you tell about the recording process? Was this the full concert recorded just as it happened (same order of the songs? were some songs left over?) Were some parts rerecorded afterwards in the studio to correct any possible mistakes, etc....?
3) To what kind of music did you listen to as teenagers and does it still influence your today work? What were your favorite bands as a teenager? Name 3 bands that you consider still have a influence on your own work today.
I can only speak for myself and the first band that I liked was Kiss like many other kids who were born on the 70's. When I was a teenager, I was first into thrash and death and when I was like 17 I was more into punk. The Rolling Stones, Kiss and John Fogerty and many others have an influence on me today.
4) Is there a main composer in the band or is everybody involved in one way or another?
For Breaking News and the new album that´s in the making, Gustav is the main songwriter. Before that, Andy and Gustav did a lot together. However, Gustav is a riff machine so he comes up with many songs and then we put it together as a band in the studio.
5) What is your favorite topic/topic that comes easily when you write a new song?
Things that I believe are wrong in our society, or in life. I think it´s easier to write about things that are wrong in my opinion. I do not know why it is so but that´s just me I guess.
6) GRANDE ROYALE are described by some people as an "High Energy" band in the vein of the great MC5. Do you agree with this label? Are you proud of it or do you consider there is way more than that?
Yeah we are described as “High Energy” but here in Sweden people compare us more to The Hellacopters than MC5. But that is a good thing! right? Both of them are great bands. We are going in to the studio together with Ola Esfjord next week. This album will sound a lot different from Breaking News. I think this one in not so “High Energy”.So if we take it from the start. Cygne Noir was punk, No fuss was more melodic but to fast. Like to much “High Energy”. Then we did Breaking News with Nicke the master of “High Energy”. He took it down a bit so we became a true high energy band. However, this one will be more soul/blues I think. It will do us good to change something so we don´t do the same record over and over again. And Grande Royale will sound different now when Gustav sings.
7) Do you have a new video on youtube featuring a track from the new LP??
No but we will make at least 3 to 5 videos on the next studio album.
8) What can concert goers expect at a GRANDE ROYALE gig? Are you playing any famous cover songs that are not present on this album?
We have never played a cover song live with Grande Royale but we talked about do a cover several
times but we could not agree what song we should play. People attending our gigs can expect energy on stage. The people who saw us previously believe that we have more chemistry now that Gustav is singing.
9) Are there any bands in Sweden today you consider yourself close to?
I think there are many. From our hometown, we have Beat City Tubeworks. Look them up if you haven’t heard them. They kick as.
10) Anything you wanna add?
Thank you so much for supporting us it means a lot
PURCHASE THE GOODIES HERE: https://freighttrain.se/sv/the-sign-record/grande-royale/